Thursday, April 18, 2013

I Missed You And Pictures

I missed a day!!! I wanted to miss today too, but that's how I get into a funk and stop doing anything constructive. I haven't ran in a couple of weeks and it will take an army of drill sergeants to get me in my running shoes tomorrow.

I promised pictures and they are here!! I hope you have enjoyed following me around San Francisco and New York. It's been a fantastic journey that I never want to experience again.

Ever since I was a kid, I couldn't be away from home for more than a couple days without wanting to sob on the front porch and call my mom. I still haven't grown out of it. When we got back from Cali, I had a great day with my kids eating fried foods, shopping at the dollar store and cuddling. I wanted to stay home and cancel our trip to NYC. I  wanted coffee out of my own mugs, to drive my kids to school and to sleep in my own bed. I admit that I wasn't very excited to leave. We had planned these trips months ago and it seemed plausible to be away for a week, home for two days and gone for another six days. On our way to the airport to embark on our NYC trip,  homesickness punched me in the fucking gut and I felt like crying when we left our sleepy faced little monkeys in grandma's car. I wanted to grab the door handle and refuse to go. I was sick of security screenings, sitting next to strangers, restaurant food, tourist prices and staying busy so I could forget how homesick I really was.

We had a fun trip and I am so glad we were there to celebrate with our friends, but it was a lesson learned about two trips in a row. Never again. We are home for six weeks and off on another adventure with the kids at the end of May. While it is a hell of a lot more work to travel with kids, it makes me feel more at home when I wake up to little smiling faces and stomping feet next to my bed. It beats room service any day of the week.

We spent an entire day walking Central Park and I was shocked to find a waterfall in the middle of this huge city. After taking a landscape architecture class last year, it was amazing to see what kind of creative talent it took to create this sanctuary in the middle of chaos. There was a reservoir, a pond, gardens, a castle and beautiful foliage around every turn. This was my favorite day in New York.





My hubby is a huge Yankees fan and has been since he was a little tyke. His dream came true this week when he was able to see a game at Yankee Stadium in NYC. To watch someone you love get giddy about crossing something off their bucket list  is pretty heartwarming. Even for a hard ass like me. It got even sweeter when he realized where our tickets were, row 5 from the field. I don't think there was one minute that entire night that he wasn't smiling.

Having friends who live in the city you visit is a blessing, pure and simple. We spent the afternoon with a friend I had met when I worked at Starbucks and she pointed us in a very sweet direction. There was a little bakery with even littler cupcakes and they came in all sorts of yummy flavors. They were the size of a fucking ping pong ball. Adorable!! We bought a dozen and as you can see they barely lasted long enough for a quick pic. Make friends and tell them to move to cool places so you can come visit and take advantage of their local status. Thanks, Jackie. :)

I would also like to give a shout out to my friends Scott and Brent who were married this weekend in the most beautiful ceremony I have ever attended. I did not get permission to post pics so you will just have to use your imagination. It confirmed what I have believed for most of my life, there is not just one way to love. Their commitment and love for one another is breathtaking. I would like to vote for them to be the poster kids for why gay marriage is marriage and should be legally accepted as such. Love is love, bitches.

No comments:

Post a Comment