Friday, July 5, 2013

A Month of Giving: My Challenge


Last week my mom let me borrow an audio book she had on loan from the library. I have never actually listened to a book on tape (what's a cassette tape???) because I love to read books and I prefer to spend my drive time listening to NPR or rap music. Pretty gangster, right? There was a part of me that thought about returning it and getting the book instead, but I decided to give it a try as I chauffeured the kids across the hundreds of miles we trek in our car every week. When I slid it in the CD player I was prepared to hear some very loud objections from my kiddos similar to the whining they display when I mention chores, bedtime and my desire to hear that Jay Z song one more time. They were silent. We were driving to my dads, which is a good 40 minutes from our house, and for the entire trip they didn't speak. They also didn't fight, attack each other or stick their sweaty feet in one another's face. It was most peaceful time I have had in a car since.....God, I don't know.....1999?

When we arrived, they both begged me not to listen to any of it without them. They were hooked. The story revolves around a woman who has MS and isn't able to function the way she has been use to. She receives guidance to give a gift every day for 29 days and the story grows from there. I won't give it away because every person on this planet should experience the joy she finds for themselves. Please read or listen to this book as soon as possible. It is inspiring and a beautiful way to look at how giving can create abundance in your life and has the ability to heal you. My kids were inspired and my daughter is now reading the book and committing to begin her own month of giving, as am I.

My month of giving will be shared with you on this blog. I will continue to post on the usual Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, but it won't be the content you are use to. I will be sharing with you my giving, what it means to me and how my life is changed by it. It sounds a lot like bragging, right? I worried about that. I want you to know that my intention is not to put myself on a pedestal or create the appearance that I am better than any one else. My intention is to inspire you to begin a month, a year or a lifetime of giving. It is to step outside of my comfort zone and give to strangers. It is to face what I perceive as lack in my life and give it away.

As I listened to this woman's journey, I began to wonder what our world would look like if we all focused on giving daily instead of hating daily or worrying daily. That is the world I want to live in. That is the world I want to leave for my kids. Today I make a commitment to myself and to you, I will be beginning my month of giving tomorrow. There are guidelines that you can find in the book, all of which I intend to follow.

I urge you to read this book (I gave you the link to purchase the book on Amazon) and to check out the website listed below. The website has followers from all over the world who share their month of giving, their ideas for gifts and inspiration to others interested in giving. I look forward to the next 29 days, not only to share this with you, but to experience the joy, humility and peace that comes from giving.

29 Gifts: How A Month of Giving Can Change Your Life by Cami Walker
http://www.amazon.com/29-Gifts-Month-Giving-Change/dp/0738214302/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1373055701&sr=1-1&keywords=29+gifts

www.29gifts.org

See you Monday!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment