Wednesday, July 10, 2013

I Ask, The Universe Delivers:Two More Days of Giving.


Image property of buzzle.com

Monday July 7, 2013 Day 3: Scary Hair

I don't do hair. That's why I decided to cut mine super short last year and I only attempt to grow it out for about 30 days until I have a mullet and realize that I look like I have given up on life, at which point I cut it again. My extremely small list of hairstyle abilities includes pony tails, side pony tails and regular braids. The end. My daughter has beautiful long hair and access to internet videos that instruct you on thousands of hairstyles that look more intricate than than a boondoggle bracelet. Unfortunately, she has grown up having mediocre hairstyles or bob cuts, which I always suggested for my convenience. If shaving girls' heads for summer was a thing, she would be in trouble.

She had been asking me to watch this video for a few days and I felt that I would rather eat pickled beets while doing back bends than play beauty shop. It was an updo with an upside down french braid and messy bun at the top.
"I don't know how to french braid, kid. You need to talk to Grandma if you want fancy hair like that." (I'm known to pass off that shit to my mom because she is good at everything. Everything.)
"Mom, it shows you how to do it step by step. Please. Just watch it and see if we can try it on my hair."
After a a challenging day with my son he was finally crying for dad in the other room, so I sat with her on the couch and watched the video. This would be my gift to her.

We watched and researched and I wasn't sure I was up to the hair challenge. Then we spent an hour in my bathroom trying two different hairstyles, talking about girl stuff and laughing. I tried french braiding for the first time in a decade and when I showed her my failed attempt, she melted my heart.
"It's beautiful, Mom. I love it."
I'm pretty sure she gave me a gift far beyond the hour I spent fixing her hair. Far beyond.

Tuesday July 8, 2013 Day 4: Ask And You Shall Receive. For Real.

I was planning to make zucchini bread for my next door neighbor who keeps her yard beautiful year round and who is a very private person. I'm not sure we have spoken more than a few words in the two years since we moved in. While I would still give that gift, it would become clear that I was meant to give two gifts today.

As I am driving my daughter to her acting class I have a strange thought "If there were a panhandler on my trip today, I would give them money." There aren't panhandlers where I live. We live in a small golf community connected to two small town and while I'm sure there is a homeless population, we don't see it. There are no cardboard signs or people on the street corner with guitars and change jars. In the twelve years since I moved back here, I have never seen a panhandler. I have seen people selling puppies and tamales at WalMart and people hitchhiking on the main road, but never a panhandler. My thought seemed silly and fruitless. I would be baking when I got home and gifting my neighbor.

As I drove back through town to pick my daughter up a couple hours later, I saw a young woman on the corner of the main road. With a cardboard sign. "Struggling and disabled. Anything will help."
Wait....what????? There is no possible way I created that. Is there? I keep driving and commit to stop on my way back so I won't be late picking up my daughter. I had planned on giving this woman the two dollars I keep in my change holder for car washes and drink stops, but as I get closer I know I need to pull a $20 bill out of my wallet. That is 1/4 of my spending money for this pay period. Any Starbucks coffee, racer back tank, movie ticket or meal out with friends comes out of this money and I spend it wisely. It has to last. It was weird, but I didn't worry about what I couldn't buy this week. I have all I need...a nice home, my health, food in my fridge and more clothes than I could wear in a month.

Here is my other hang up. Is she really disabled? What will she do with the money? This is always where I go when I give money, but part of the challenge is to give with your whole heart. I began to say an affirmation in my mind in order to move past my questions.  "Today I give without judgement". And I did.

I parked the car, got out and asked this young woman how she was doing.
"I've been better."
"Well, this is for you. I hope it helps." I said.
"Thank you and God bless."

He already has.

Check out my new post on mythirtyspot. Success and marriage. What it means when one person is making it  out in the world while the other one is at home.
http://www.mythirtyspot.com/2013/07/his-mine-and-ours-when-your-spouse-is.html

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful post! It totally just melted my heart reading it. Thank you for your faithfulness :)

    ReplyDelete